Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Marathon Training

The marathon training is going well. Usually by now I have shin splints due to my overpronation not to mention my poor mechanics. But after some research I've been running in new sneakers that seem to be helping. They are called Newton's and they are helping to improve my stride and strengthen muscles I didn't know existed in my lower leg. They are very light force me to strike the ground correctly due to the "lugs" on the bottom of the shoe directly under the widest part of the foot. They took some time to get used to but they feel great now.



For my longer runs I use my new Asics, which are heavier but they make me feel like I'm running on very stable pillows after training in the Newtons.

Mileage will start to increase next week. My coaches Kelly and Sarad stressed the importance of strength training on cross training days. So, I will lift weights on those days to strengthen my core. If done efficiently, I should be able to get through any wall (mental or physical) I might encounter late in the race. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment