Friday, January 7, 2011

Awesome Beard Sighting

I got a call this morning from my friend Brooke who takes the train to work in Boston.  We were discussing meeting up for lunch this weekend.  Then she revealed the true reason for her early morning call.  She asked if I knew who Bill Rodgers was.  I said I did.  Then she said he was at the train station and he had an awesome beard.  It sounded epic as she described two long braided sections coming out of it.  After I hung up I immediately hit google images to find a picture.  Most of the images showed a skinny clean shaven guy.  But then I came across a photo from the Bill Rodgers Running Center website showing a man of that exact description.  It turns out it's Bill Rodgers' brother Charlie who has the beard, but that does not hinder the magnificence of this thing.

Left to Right: Charlie & Bill

I mean, this guy committed.  Nothing here is accidental; there is no doubt he is into growing his beard.  Looking at the picture I estimated the length of the beard at about 18 inches.  Knowing that beards grow at a rate of about 5 to 6 inches a year, that is at least three years of growth.  Please note that this estimate is conservative and the hair is probably at least a few inches longer unbraided.  I am clean shaven compared to this guy. 

Anyway, thank you Brooke for contributing with this tremendous beard sighting.  Not only was it a great beard but it is running related too.  Bill Rodger's brothers run his store, "The Bill Rodgers Running Center."  Coincidentally, the team is going to have a clinic there next Thursday night run by Bill himself.  With a little luck I'll get to see his brothers beard first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment